Lemonade is an all time favorite drink. It is absolutely refreshing in warm weather. Unfortunately there are a lot of phony products to be found in stores with all sorts of e-stuff and substitute sugar.
It is high time to make your own lemonade. Taste the difference. There is no comparison.
After you start making your own lemonade you may never want to buy that fake powder stuff again.
The only challenge some have is to get the sugar to easily dissolve. If the sugar does not dissolve completely it will sink to the bottom of the pitcher and that is not desirable for the perfect lemonade.
There is an easy trick for making sure the sugar is completely dissolved and stays that way.
Take a cup of water and a cup of sugar and heat it.
Keep stirring until the sugar is dissolved. This mixture of equal amounts of water and sugar is called simple syrup.
Homemade Lemonade Recipe
1. Make simple syrup; heat one cup of water with one cup of sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Squeeze the juice out of 6 lemons. It should add up to one cup of lemon juice.
3. Mix the lemon juice and the simple syrup in a pitcher.
4. Add about four cups of cold water. Stir.
5. Put the pitcher in the refrigerator. You do want cold lemonade.
If you use Meyer lemons, you may want to reduce the sugar. Meyer lemons are sweeter than ordinary lemons. Meyer lemons are actually not real lemons. They are a hybrid cross of lemons and mandarins.
Whenever you can, use organic lemons. Always remember to wash your lemons first.
Before serving your drink you may want to add ice cubes or crushed ice and lemon slices.
Some people love to substitute some of the water in their homemade lemonade with sparkling water (carbonated water).
You should try it sometime, it tastes delicious!
It has been told that this pink drink actually started by accident. One story is that Henry Allott accidentally dropped some red candies in the lemonade when selling lemonade at a circus. As it turned out, peopled loved the new look.
For years it has been common to add artificially food coloring and flavors to give it the color pink.
Lately much better tasting and healthier methods are used to make pink lemonade. You can experiment some and make your own secret recipe. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Add a couple teaspoons of grenadine (red syrup) to the lemonade. Garnish with cherries.
- Add a cup of cranberry juice to the lemonade.
- Add raspberry sauce or crushed raspberries to the lemonade.
- Substitute some of the water with club soda.
- Add frozen berries .